General Chit-Chat Thread

For all off-topic forum topics
Raion-Fox

General Chit-Chat Thread

Post by Raion-Fox » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:36 pm

This is a thread simply to talk about everyday mundane things, i.e. the weather, what you did today, or other small talk.

Today I'm cleaning out my basement and found all sorts of crazy looking spiders. Everything is being powerwashed.
I am probably posting from yangxiaolong, HP Z230 with Xeon E3-1230v3, 16GB RAM, GeForce 750ti, and running NetBSD and Windows 8.1 Embedded.

vishnu

Re: General Chit-Chat Thread

Post by vishnu » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:08 am

When I find spiders in my dwelling, I catch them and put them outside. But I only do this in the summer. In the winter I just leave them alone. :roll:

Raion-Fox

Post by Raion-Fox » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:16 am

I generally dont kill spiders that just mind their own business but the basement needed cleaning that day and power washing was how I did it, just too many spiders to catch and release.
I am probably posting from yangxiaolong, HP Z230 with Xeon E3-1230v3, 16GB RAM, GeForce 750ti, and running NetBSD and Windows 8.1 Embedded.

ivelegacy

Post by ivelegacy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:22 pm

Guess insanely great to hear for those who have tried to drag me down with their cliché, but you will be happy to hear: by the end of the year I will quit every projects (i.e. HDL on IRIX), every development of home-made SoC-boards and every business activity on eBay related to HPPA and SGI. Gone tired ... hobbyists on eBay and customers randomly acquired on on internet.

Made money, but not so much money for living, thus I will close my second-core-business, and I will be focused only on the new main-core-business in a completely different field (not computers). Good news, for those have been annoyed by my selling activities, inside and outside eBay.

a guest is never really invited to stay.
Anyway, wish you all the best.

Intuition

Post by Intuition » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:09 pm

I live on a boat in the Marina, in Marina Del Rey, beach area, Los Angeles.

There are spiders sometimes. Usually I leave them alone. They get eaten by birds, etc. I think one bit my earlobe last week in my sleep. It itched bad in the morning and wasn't soft for a couple days. Felt weird, like my earlobe had plastic inside it.

Now its back to normal. Ok, now back to this networking SGI and win7 business today.

Raion-Fox

Post by Raion-Fox » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:12 pm

So your computers are on the boat with you, or do you keep them offsite?

Sounds like a few issues there:

Salt spray
Dirty power
Rough currents

All not very good for antique hardware.

ivelegacy

Post by ivelegacy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:29 pm

How freaking irritating is when English-mother-language guys want to underline that they belong to the upper class, listing reasons to run down those who are still learning, i.e. grammar mistakes, bad spelling and typos.

It's so fucking demotivating, it's a freaking shit, and you don't care. What cares is belonging to a group, and groups are made on more things to belong, but for English native speakers being in the upper-class seems to be the only the path for those valued guys whose idioms and urban dictionary are a tangible proof of belonging.

Anyhow rules are simple: those who belong to the upper-class, and those who belongs to the the figurative finger _|_

Already sent my Curriculum Vitae to a company located in Norway: they are looking for a bears guardian! So, a "caveman like me" (cit) won't need to speak English fluently :lol:

ivelegacy

Post by ivelegacy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:53 pm

Looking at some pics, the only thing I can say about the D.kid is: rather young (14? 15?) for manifesting four signs that can describe extreme collector psychology.

Collectors are a class I don't understand, neither I like them due to their level of 'butthurt' about activities! They usually claim they want exotic hardware, but they would not pay two centesimos to rub together because for their point of view items always seem like high prices until they are offered for just the shipping cost. They generally have distorted expectations of item pricing and shipping costs, and even if you can offer the warranty only a few of them will care in the least about that. So, if you're not prepared to sell for more under-priced than cheap each, then do not expect hobbyists ever to make better deals because that's exactly how they operate.

This is the reason why I am quitting the activity on ebay: too effort, poor gain.

[Edited - Be nice! - Staff]

Intuition

Post by Intuition » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:14 pm

Raion-Fox wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:12 pm
So your computers are on the boat with you, or do you keep them offsite?

Sounds like a few issues there:

Salt spray
Dirty power
Rough currents

All not very good for antique hardware.
Yes, I have one o2 on the boat with me with my win7 box. The rest are nearby at the office as will be the Octane.
I keep the o2 in a sealed plastic bin when it is not in use. The boat is pretty nice though. Its not a sailboat. Its 1967 40ft constellation class Chris Craft the top area that comes open air standard has a closed area built on it so there is perfect shielding from rain even up top.

Exactly like this one except imagine a black enclosure instead of blue. http://pacificmarine.org/blog/wp-conten ... 4227_2.jpg

Its bigger than my first apt was as far as square feet. This part of the year can be moist though so it's important that even though the interior stays pretty dry that I keep certain things in plastic bins when not in use.

I replaced the old 1960s power with a modern unit. It regulates very well. The dock power was also modernized before I started staying on the boat.
The primary danger would be that I can make the breaker switch off IF I have the water heater on and the fridge starts its cycle right when I am using the electric water boiler OR microwave OR stove.

So in these cases I do not use the o2. I only use it when I have the water heater shut off and am not going to be preparing food. I think the breaker popping while the o2 was on would be like removing the tray with the power supply plugged in problem that I've read. Might damage the o2. Not going to risk the Octane on that power. My win7 machine is a 750 watt dual quad xeon (8core) and it has run fine with the o2 with no problems over a year now. Though, like I said. I am very finicky about power usage while the computers are running and the o2 goes in this bin when I am not using it. The main thing is really the dust that sticks to the sw1600. My regular lg flat panel doesn't get that dusty but the sw1600 seems to grab dust. So I got a microfiber cloth to wipe it down once a month.

Dodoid

Post by Dodoid » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:35 pm

D.kid here.

Your ARM boards look pretty cool, are you designing the SOM and the breakout board or is the SOM sourced from elsewhere? I don't think I've seen any like it, so I suppose it's your own design?

As for your eBay dispute, I do not take a side in it, and from what I've seen it actually looks like you make some half-decent points, so I'm not going to have an opinion on that. I may be in a minority among Nekochan users in saying this, but it's not my fight to pick and I don't hold anything against you because of it.

Also, can confirm, 15 years old, am cheap, dislike shipping costs, puts hand in garbage (?), room is mess and I don't care, everything is stacked around with a growing level of disorder, have invested considerable amounts of money and effort in SGI collection.

As for negative effects, haven't really seen it yet.
Thanks for clearing that one up!