FoxBSD Discussion

For BSD, Linux, and other UNIX versions not previously mentioned.
Raion-Fox

FoxBSD Discussion

Post by Raion-Fox » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:59 pm

Anyone remember my project FoxBSD? That FreeBSD fork?

The project is not dead. I ended up losing the hosting for FoxBSD because of the asshole company I did business with. They shut down the server and wouldn't allow me to get off the data unless I paid a huge sum of cash. I decided to say no, after all I didn't lose anything by the site shutting down other than some documentation which can easily be rewritten.

I started a new job and I also realized after delving deep into the FreeBSD codebase that a LOT is wrong with it, even in simple userland tools.

So I'm going back to the drawing board and using NetBSD and 4.4BSD-lite code to code an entire new set of userland from scratch. I will also, once this segment of the project is done, update the mercurial repos with the code, and begin the slow and laborious process of transplating everything into a new build system (your standard bmake and gmake are horribly designed and I have a lot of time to ponder on what to use instead)

I am continuing to remove obsolete 32-bit platform support from the FreeBSD kernel in my spare time. Yes, this includes i386, though the necessary compatibility to run IA-32 will remain indefinitely. ARM-32 will remain for the foreseeable future, but no bugfixing will be made to ARM-32 - if there's problems introduced by new code added enough to justify its removal, so be it. SPARC is potentially going to be axed entirely. Itanium was already removed, so that's a non-issue. I may retain POWER-32 (PowerPC) support if there's demand, but I doubt there will be. Yes, MIPS will be removed. MIPS is dead, essentially, outside of retrocomputing hobbies.

As for a general release, that has been postponed until further notice. I'm not satisfied with the FreeBSD codebase enough yet.
I am probably posting from yangxiaolong, HP Z230 with Xeon E3-1230v3, 16GB RAM, GeForce 750ti, and running NetBSD and Windows 8.1 Embedded.

Krokodil

Re: FoxBSD Discussion

Post by Krokodil » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:43 pm

I do. FoxBSD might be the last hope for a modern traditional UNIX system in the future. I have no reason to believe FreeBSD wont get cocked up by the usual culprits - at some point in the future. Still on FreeBSD for the time being.

Is OpenBSD not an option for something to start with?

On another note. It's nice to see another forum related to IRIX :). Hopefully it can be a place free of the constant squabbling caused by malcontents and delusional characters that inhabit the other place - not that everyone there was bad by any means, but I do feel this forum should strive to be different than Nekochan, otherwise there's little point in it's existence.

Raion-Fox

Post by Raion-Fox » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:39 pm

I like to think that nekochan is the board for more general SGI discussion, and this is more for preservation and comprehensiveness.

Nekochan includes Itanium based systems and general SGI discussion. We're here for IRIX above and beyond what SGI offered.
I am probably posting from yangxiaolong, HP Z230 with Xeon E3-1230v3, 16GB RAM, GeForce 750ti, and running NetBSD and Windows 8.1 Embedded.

Krokodil

Post by Krokodil » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:09 am

I guess now that FoxBSD has a home here. I can shut down the IRC client. Since it's not needed anymore. Maybe Micrex22 will find his way here.