Free SGI Hardware For Experienced Developers

If you're coding on or porting to IRIX, this is the forum for discussion.
Raion-Fox

Free SGI Hardware For Experienced Developers

Post by Raion-Fox » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:23 am

If you're reading this you probably have come from Reddit or other places I've asked people to spread this message, or you clicked on this.

Currently the hobbyist community for IRIX is in a rather decayed state. We have lost a great deal of porting and development effort over the past decade.

I am willing to help solve this by donating some free hardware to experienced Linux or UNIX developers who have the following skills:
  • Excellent programming experience in C or C++
  • Previous experience coding on a UNIX or Unix-like platform
  • A commitment to the hobby of collecting, maintaining and preserving SGI hardware
  • and who do not currently own a single SGI.

This offer comes with a lot of stipulations:
  • You must send me via PM a brief resume of your past experience, your areas of expertise, your location, and a promise that you will not
  • Resell the hardware I give you
  • If you can no longer develop, mauntain the hardware or fulfill your obligations to the community, you will give the hardware back to me or oneof my moderators if I'm unavailable or they're closer. I do not want to see any hardware I give out donated to a thrift store, destroyed or sold for a profit.
  • That you will commit to doing some level of work for the SGI community that is substantial.
I am probably posting from yangxiaolong, HP Z230 with Xeon E3-1230v3, 16GB RAM, GeForce 750ti, and running NetBSD and Windows 8.1 Embedded.

patolin_01

Re: Free SGI Hardware For Experienced Developers

Post by patolin_01 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:00 pm

Hello! I get your reply on reddit, but I cant send PMs here, because of my new account.

Let me introduce myself. My name is Patricio, and Im Electronic Engineer, and got a Master Degree in Software Engineering. I have been working with linux for arround 10 years, and coding using open source tools almost the same time.

I can code on C/C++, PHP, Python and Haskell.

As I told you, I would love to help in this project, but I live in Ecuador, and shipping a full workstation will cost a lot of money.

Raion-Fox

Re: Free SGI Hardware For Experienced Developers

Post by Raion-Fox » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:14 pm

I sent you a PM and removed you from newly registered so you can communicate with me privately.
I am probably posting from yangxiaolong, HP Z230 with Xeon E3-1230v3, 16GB RAM, GeForce 750ti, and running NetBSD and Windows 8.1 Embedded.